UPDATE: July 28, 2014 Submissions are currently closed for the calendar year 2014 as we diligently work on our current contracted series. Thank you.
Welcome to Buzz Books! We publish compelling, entertaining stories in fiction and creative non-fiction. Check out our books page and author page to see who and what we have published and plan to publish. We’re excited about our list and line-up.
Please include in all queries:
- Your pitch and contact information in the body of your email.
- A subject line that clearly states the intention of your submission, as detailed in the submission guidelines.
- Your social media credentials, including your Facebook author page, Goodreads account, Twitter handle and/or blog or website URL. We want to know how social you are on the web (but it’s not a deal breaker if you’re not).
- Your submission, which varies by the project as listed below, should be included in a double-spaced attachment (either Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF). A synopsis should be included in the body of your email.
- Fill out the submission form below so we have all of your contact information, so we will have TWO emails from you.
Compensation will vary by author and by project and will be outlined in the offer letter. Please note that if we are interested in the writer’s work or love the voice, we will likely work with a writer until we are fully satisfied with the piece before acceptance. This may entail editing—from minor to major—and the editing process will happen both before and after acceptance. We have a minimum of two editors review the project before acceptance and may include our early readers for feedback during the revision process, once the project has been contracted.
A few more tips about our Hive:
- We want originality. Characters with feeling and emotion that draw us into their story, cause us to become invested in their outcome.
- Have a political or religious angle? That’s fine but we are not seeking far left- or right-leaning politics or religious-focused fiction.
- First-timers and seasoned writers are welcome to submit. The only experience you need is what you have.
- Agents are always welcome! If you have an agent and feel your work might be a fit at Buzz, please ask your agent to put us on the list. Starting 10/12, our new contracts are 50/50 net royalties.
- Be open to feedback. If we are going to seriously consider your work, we are going to read it and edit it and send it back to you for revisions. You may not agree with our criticism and you are free to dispute something you feel strongly about. But be aware that in the writing and editing process, there is the potential for criticism.
- If we don’t accept your submission, it could just mean that it’s not right for us. So don’t give up.
- Please send us material that YOU OWN THE RIGHTS TO.
- NOTE: As of February 1, 2014, we have a new editor to start our honey line, Kathy Wheeler; we are no longer accepting short stories of any kind or paranormal/fantasy stories.
- Our goal is to grow your brand with you so we’d prefer that you consider writing a long-term endeavor and multi-book deals.
- We only publish paperbacks on a case by case basis and then it’s print on demand with authors agreeing to do special events and tours to sell them. Our primary focus is ebooks.
Justification of rejection is not guaranteed and please know a rejection does not mean your project may not be a great fit somewhere else.
Thanks for looking!